Monday, August 18, 2008

"Tall Window Box"


Since the girls are in school, I decided to create. I had seen a box like this before while I was blurfing one night and thought it was super cute. I tried Di's tutorial and I think her measurements were wrong at the beginning, cause mine didn't look good at all. It was too short. So I created my own and made it just a bit taller. Here are my directions for this box along with two pictures of two of the steps. Check out Diana's blog for step by step directions to make this.

Cut Cardstock 8 1/2 x 5 1/2.
Score on the long side at 1 1/4", 2 1/2", 3 3/4", and 5".
Score on the short side at 1 1/4".
Turn 180 degrees and score the other end at 1 3/4" and 1/2".
Cut out the corners so it looks like this picture. Then cut the bottom three and the top two short lines down to the first scor lines on the top and bottom to make the flaps so that you can fold them to close the box.

Round the corners so that when you close the top the sides go in better. It isn't necessary but it does help. Then take your word window and make a couple punches to make a tall window. If you want to use small candy like M&M's you will need to put an acetate sheet inside before you assemble the box so they don't fall out. I used Hershey Kisses and didn't use an acetate sheet. Clear as mud?? I used Scor-Tape to put it together and to add the pattern paper trim around the top and bottom.
*Di's tutorial has been corrected so her measurements are right on now.*
Stamps: Seeing Spots
Paper: Regal Rose, Whisper White, DP
Ink: Regal Rose
Accessories: SU Word Window Punch, SU Circle Punches, Hand Held Hole Punch, Silver Cord, Scor-Tape, Hershey Kisses, Bling

13 comments:

JoAnna Goodman said...

Well, this is just cool! Great job, Rochelle!

ThreadCatcher said...

Great project! Saved for future use. jmniffer

Chrissy D said...

Ohh this is COOL! Now those chocolates seem mighty tasty!!! TFS!

Courtney said...

oh. my. goodness.

this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Sara Paschal said...

This is a beautiful box, thank you for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!! I love - love - love your project.

Thanks for sharing.

Margaret S

BlueRose said...

OMG I just love your tall box and thank you so very much for the instructions on how to make it and the templates....

Chris said...

cute box...

Latisha said...

very cute, thanks for the tutorial

Anonymous said...

I love this box. I made one already according to your directions and it turned out perfect. I am going to make these for halloween and use purple cardstock and put black and orange m&ms inside. Then decorate with halloweeny designer paper and ribbon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm sorry my box didn't work for you :( My box is a half sheet of cardstock. I am going to try yours with the 8 1/2" length as well. I think the size depends on what you want to put inside.

Stacey Schafer said...

love this tutorial! very clever! thanks for sharing it!

Rebecca Ednie said...

Thanks for sharing. I made mine to hold sparklers. It went together well but I cut down the 1/2" strip to 1/4" or it would have shown through the window I punched. The measurements were perfect.